Sol-Gel Gateway Home page

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chemistry
 Sol-Gel Gateway Forum>Sol-Gel Forum>Chemistry
Message Icon Topic: Calcium Copper Titanate Post Reply Post New Topic
kaos

Online Status: Offline
Quote kaos Replybullet Topic: Calcium Copper Titanate
    Posted: 29 June 2008 at 5:51am
Hi,

Does anyone here has experience with CaCu3Ti4O12? I have a lot of questions about this ceramic material, but I will ask one by one.

First off, I am new to material science and sol-gel technology, so please consider me as a newbie (treat me like one too Smile).

I am interested in this material because it has extremely large relative permitivity. I know that it has to be prepared following certain quite stringent procedure in order to achieve that, be it sol-gel or any other techniques.

My main objective is to coat a layer of this ceramic on a steel sheet or tube of about 1mm thick or around that. It became apparent to me that sol-gel is not the way to go. I wonder if plasma spray or HVOF is a better way. I need your input. I found some articles show that thermal spraying technique  does not yield good relative permitivity. I need your opinion.

Second, I was  told that most ceramics are porous. Is this perovskite porous?

Third, I need to know your opinion about the route to prepare. I have a couple articles and they suggest:
1) Ca(NO3)2.4H2O + Cu(NO3)2.4H2O + Titanium(diisoproproxide) bis(2, 4-pentanedionate) 75 wt% in 2-
propanol.

2) Ca(NO3)24H2O + Cu(NO3)22.5H2O + TiO2 + are used as starting raw materials. Glycine (NH2-CH2-COOH) is used a oxidizer and fuel.

3) Titanium butoxide [Ti(OC3H7)4] in 2-ethyl heaxanoic acid followed by addition of monohydrated calcium acetate [Ca(C2HO2)2 H2O] and monohydrated copper acetate [Cu(OOCCH3)2 H2O] at room temperature.

The third is prepared as sol-gel whereas the first two are not. Can they also be used for sol-gel? The second can cause (mentioned in the article) combustion when the solution is heated. Is this dangerous? Hope it is not explosion kinda combustion.

IP IP Logged
kaos

Online Status: Offline
Quote kaos Replybullet Posted: 02 July 2008 at 2:59am
Wow! I never realise that this place is so quite.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version