Sol-Gel Gateway Home page

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Sol-Gel and derived Materials
 Sol-Gel Gateway Forum>Sol-Gel Forum>Sol-Gel and derived Materials
Message Icon Topic: Preparation titanium isopropoxide sol gel Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
ranymiranti

Online Status: Offline
Quote ranymiranti Replybullet Topic: Preparation titanium isopropoxide sol gel
    Posted: 03 April 2008 at 2:53am
Hi!
I've tried to use isopropyl alcohol, acetic acid and HNO3 in different condotion. But why its always becoming precipitate(TIO2)? Could somebody tell me the best way to make Titanium isopropoxide sol gel?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
nanoTiO2

Quote nanoTiO2 Replybullet Posted: 03 April 2008 at 7:56am
Hi,

Try to make 0.1M or 0.2M of sol-gel and use ethanol as solvent and keep the sol-gel in pH3 ~ pH4.
Hope that help.
Nano-SciTech
UiTM
IP IP Logged
ranymiranti

Quote ranymiranti Replybullet Posted: 09 April 2008 at 6:23am
Hi nanoTiO2,
Could you tell me more specific about that? Do you mean we change isopropyl alcohol with ethanol?
Thanks
IP IP Logged
japp168

Quote japp168 Replybullet Posted: 11 April 2008 at 2:33am
Smile
Beijing Jinaipu Science & Technology Co., Ltd. ; Lead your particles world better
IP IP Logged
Nano
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nano Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2008 at 11:21am
The reason that you got precipitates is likely because of too fast condensation.

You may be able to obtain a clear solution by using very low pH (highly concentrated HNO3). Also, avoid to use high concentration of TTIP since it will be difficult to control the condensation rate.

Basically, using large amount of solvent (2-propanol or ethanol)and high concentration of acid, you should be able to get a transparent solution.

IP IP Logged
nanoTiO2

Quote nanoTiO2 Replybullet Posted: 15 April 2008 at 9:54pm
Yup, i agree with Nano, try to make low concentration of sol-gel, and u will get transparent solution. For me, I used glacial acetic acid, in future i will consider to use nitric acid as Nano suggested.
Nano-SciTech
UiTM
IP IP Logged
esya

Quote esya Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 1:17am
IP IP Logged
Vadim

Quote Vadim Replybullet Posted: 23 April 2008 at 3:03am
Dear colleagues,

Wanted to draw your attention to modern concepts in sol-gel, described in Journal Sol-Gel Science and Technology 2006, 40, 163-179 and also in the upcoming book "Sol-Gel Methods for Materials Processing: Focus on Materials for Pollution Control, Water Purification and Soil Remediation" edited by Innocenzi, Zub and Kessler that will be available from Springer in July.
Advises in short:
1) if you do not use organic modifiers, add more concentrated mineral acid (HNO3, HCl etc.) mixed in advance with 4-5 times bigger volume of parent alcohol. And add this solution to the solution of alkoxide slowly and dropwise, on vigorous stirring/shaking. You will make more electrically charged micelles through protonation and will achieve better stability. The longer chain is the alcohol you are using, the lower is the required charge (less acid!). The classics, like Yoldas(look for the name in literature and read), worked with n-butoxides (whatever derivative you take, TTIP etc., but in butanol), n-propanol is also good, i-propanol worse and a lot of (concentrated!) acid is required in ethanol.
2) Working with the carboxylates (whatever you take of alkoxide - all of them are in fact strong bases, will immediately be a carboxylate in a carboxylic acid, such as acetic acid) will offer you oxycarboxylate aggregates ("oxoclusters") on hydrolysis, which leads to transparent sols, because of their small size.

It is the size of the micelles that causes opacity. If you keep micelles from aggregation you will have transparent colloids even when they are really concentrated.

Good luck!
IP IP Logged
machin

Quote machin Replybullet Posted: 24 April 2008 at 4:38am
hello people.
I'm a french student and I'm trying hard to make transparent TiO gel.
I do succeed to obtain transparent gel from HNO3,TIP, Water and EtOH. but i would like to find another way for structure's influence.
I'm using acetic acid, ethanol and titanium isopropoxide, but it always precipitate. no water, as it's comig from esterification of acid and ethanol. Should i used ethylene glycol instead of ethanol? Or acid citric instead of acetic?

Thanking you in advance.

IP IP Logged
esya

Quote esya Replybullet Posted: 29 April 2008 at 12:36pm
why we want transparent TiO2 sol? is it depend on our application?Wacko
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version